The counsellor you have selected may offer a rebate for their counselling service through Medicare for those with a mental health care plan. A mental health care plan is a type of referral given by your doctor. Each person’s needs are different and a care plan will put in writing the support you can expect from those whom you are receiving the help from and in turn they are aware of what their responsibilities are.
A mental health care plan does not imply that you have a mental illness; it means you are having difficulties with your emotions, thoughts, behaviours, social skills or decision making.
Do I have to have a mental health care plan if I want to see a counsellor?
It is not essential to have the MHCP prior to attending a counselling session. However it enables you to claim a rebate from the counselling service so there is a reduced cost for the session.
The steps to receiving a mental health care plan
- Contact a member of our friendly Life Supports team to organise an appointment
- Organise an appointment with your doctor and take the information sent to you regarding your appointment with the Life Supports counsellor
- Organise your mental health care plan with your doctor
- Your doctor will offer you a copy of the plan and will keep a copy as a confidential record. You should advise your doctor if there is any information you do not want other people to know
- The referral will be given to the counsellor and you will be eligible to claim your rebate through Medicare
Benefits of a mental health care plan
- Assist you to set and achieve your goals
- Make sure your counsellor and your doctor are working towards the same goals
- Help you to manage your long-term care in a coherent and straightforward manner
- Help to monitor progress and change
- Help to provide the most beneficial treatment options
- Provide life-saving information in emergencies
Who is eligible for the mental health care plan?
People who are experiencing difficulties with their thoughts, emotions, behaviour, social skills or decision making are eligible to receive a mental health care plan, which will entitle you to claim a rebate through Medicare. In order to receive a mental health care plan, the person may be experiencing:
- Anger management
- Significant grief
- Sleep problems
- Drug and alcohol use
- Feeling overwhelmed by life
How many sessions are covered?
Ten counselling sessions are covered per calendar year.
What can I do if I have any queries?
To make an enquiry or booking, please call 1300 735 030.