Medicare rebates are available for office-based Life Supports counselling services.
Online and phone counselling services can be bulk billed during the impact of COVID-19.
Medicare rebates range from $75.95 to $126.50 per session, covering the majority of service fees.
Concession rates are also available.
For further information, please call us on 1300 735 030.
Services covered by Medicare
If you have concerns about your thoughts, emotions, behaviour – or any issues stemming from relationship problems – you are eligible for a rebate. Below are some common reasons for counselling that attract a Medicare rebate:
- Anger management
- Behavioural issues
- Interpersonal difficulties
- General concerns
- Sleep problems
- Sexual abuse
- Sexuality issues
- Trauma recovery
If you’re dealing with concerns not listed above, please call us to discuss your individual circumstances, as Medicare rebates cover counselling for a wide range of issues.
The process to claim a Medicare rebate
- After making a booking with us at Life Supports, we will send you a confirmation email outlining the details of your appointment
- Bring a version of the email on your phone, print a copy of your confirmation email, or write down the name, address and contact number of the counsellor you have chosen to see
- Call your GP reception to book an appointment (often they require a double appointment to go through all necessary history and screening information).
- Mention that you have booked in to see a counsellor that offers a Medicare rebate, and show your GP the confirmation email
- Request a letter of referral (Mental Health Care Plan) addressed to the counsellor you have chosen
- The GP may need to go over family history and mental health background and complete basic assessments (like this K10 questionnaire) around how you’re feeling.
- You can take the Mental Health Care Plan with you to the counselling session if the GP gives it to you in-person, or the GP can send it through directly to our team ([email protected] or 1300 735 030).
- Pay the full session fee at the counselling session, and claim your rebate online or at a Medicare branch using the receipt provided, OR your counsellor will process the rebate claim for you at their office (dependent on the facilities available)
Private health insurance rebates are also available- based on your level of coverage, you may decide to claim via Medicare, private health, or self-fund.
To make an enquiry or book an appointment, please call us on 1300 735 030.